Thursday, February 21, 2008

Backup Plan

Do you have a backup plan? I don’t mean backing up your data on your computer, although that’s extremely important for any business. I mean in case you are sick or hurt – what’s going to happen with your business? Who’s going to take care of your clients?

This issue rushed up to greet me this weekend when I broke my arm – my right arm no less! As new small business owner, I have no employees, but still have clients and commitments. I had no idea if I would be able to pull off my existing tasks, much less try to take on new clients that were finally responding to my marketing efforts. Do I stop marketing and lose the momentum I have gained through months of hard work? Do I take on new clients and hope I can handle it? Would that be a disservice to my clients? These questions were swirling through my mind all week.

Luckily, I chose the perfect business! Or it chose me. I’m still not sure. As a virtual assistant and a member of Virtual Assistant Networking Association (VANA), I have people! I love that line because it sums up my experience with this wonderful network. You have a question? There are over 7,500 very talented and experienced people in this network who rush to help you get an answer. I have never experienced anything like it in my 30 years in corporate America. The motto at VANA is Remember, no question is ever stupid; stupidity comes from not asking when you have the opportunity (VAnetworking Forum) to do so.”

For those of you who have not heard of this fast growing industry, a Virtual Assistant (VA) is a business owner who works from their own office providing professional support, services and skills to their clients via phone, fax and internet based technology.

I had backup available and did not realize that until I actually needed it. Not every small business owner has that cushion. How many businesses do you know that can call their competitor and say “hey, can you help me out with this client?” What a relief to know that I can continue to grow my business and still assist my clients to take their business to the next level with the assistance of many qualified VA’s.

As it turns out, I was able to complete all my commitments this week, including my volunteer work for Habitat for Humanity. No, I don’t build the houses – my family would laugh at that one. I provide VA services – contact management and Desktop Publishing services.

You can rest assured, though, that my backup plan is being formalized this week. I don’t ever want to be in a position where my clients could experience inconvenience, or even revenue loss, because I can’t fulfill my obligations. I urge all small business owners to put a Backup Plan on their agenda immediately. No time? Let a VA help you with it!

Pat Zappavigna is the owner of Instant Office Assistant, an administrative support services company. You can contact Pat at pazappa@verizon.net or through the website. www.instantofficeassistant.com

3 comments:

Sherra Scott ~ Virtual Assistant said...

Pat, it's great to see you're back up and running again. I know it's difficult to function with a broken arm, particularly when it's your "primary" arm. It IS great to be a part of such a supportive organization as VANA!

Staci Clarke-The MaXimiZer said...

Thanks for sharing Pat, I am sure that your experience will help other solopreneurs to plan ahead! As my assistant, I thank you for having backups, as I have not been affected by your unfortunate incident and I appreciate it. Hope you heal quickly-Staci

Pat Zappavigna said...

Thank you so much for your support. I feel better each day and am confident I can continue to provide my clients with the best possible solutions and assistance.