Saturday, February 16, 2008

Friday Night Date at the ER

Friday was exceptionally busy for me. As a virtual assistant that’s not always the norm. As a solo entrepreneur, you have ups and downs and your work load fluctuates. That day happened to be very productive and I had a lot of different things going on. A possible new client, some volunteer work, preparations for a trade show that I thought would be extremely helpful for my business, not to mention regular routine household chores. Maybe I was tired or maybe just not paying attention.

I was still excited over the developments throughout the day when I went to bed. My dog, a large German Shepherd mix came over for a pet and I thought nothing of leaning over the side of the bed to scratch his back … this was a normal nightly routine. The only problem was he changed the routine. Just as I went to pet him, he moved away—but I didn’t. I wound up petting the floor with a karate chop. I heard the bone in my arm snap, but I guess I was a little shocked. I just sat on the floor a minute (where my body had followed my arm), and wondered “what do I do now?”

So here it is, Friday night or early Saturday morning (I’ m a little hazy on the time), and my husband is driving me to the local emergency room with my arm packed in ice. My friend Gloria thinks I’m nuts because I made my husband help me get dressed – I was not going out in my PJs. Now, I don’t know about you, but I dread having to go to the ER on a weekend – it is always packed and short staffed, it seems. The good thing is, our ER is only 5 minutes away (I have 2 sons and could get there blindfolded). Luck was with us that night – not many people got hurt. I guess the moon wasn’t full. I didn’t even have to sit in the waiting room. My husband and I looked at each other and he said “well, this should be quick” – ha! We waited in the cubicle instead!

At about 1:30 they finally sent me for x-rays. The tech was great – very careful about moving my arm and a great sense of humor. When I am scared or upset, I always turn everything into a joke and she went right along with it. I wonder if a lot of people do that? The doctor finally came back to tell us that the arm was broken in two spots (already knew that from the tech – she let me see the pictures on the screen) and the nurse proceeded to splint my arm. They won’t put a cast on anymore in my ER until you see an orthopedic surgeon. Find a surgeon on a weekend – I think not!

So, here I sit on Saturday evening with this stupid splint on my arm wondering what’s going to happen with my fledgling business. As I said earlier, I’m a small business owner – I have no employees – it’s just me. And I don’t think I mentioned this part – I broke my right arm and I’m right-handed. As a virtual assistant, ALL of my work is done on a computer keyboard. Not to mention the fact that I can’t even dress myself yet. I feel like a baby learning to do things all over again.

Well, I’m sitting here now typing. Granted, it’s one-handed and very slow, but I think I can do this. This is the very same attitude that got me into this business in the first place!

No comments: